Hoar Cross Hall – General History

Hoar Cross Hall was, from the early 17th century, the second seat of the Ingram family whose principal residence was Temple Newsam in Yorkshire. In 1661 Henry Ingram was raised as Baron Ingram and Viscount of Irvine. On the death of the 9th Viscount in 1778 the Viscountcy became extinct. The estates descended to his daughters and in 1841 to Hugo Charles Meynell (grandson of Hugo Meynell and son of Sir Hugo Meynell who had married Elizabeth Ingram in 1782). Upon inheritance Meynell incorporated Ingram into his surname to become Meynell Ingram.

The old house was rebuilt in the 1860s in much grander style, most of which comprises the existing Hoar Cross Hall.

His son Hugo Francis Meynell Ingram married Emily Charlotte Wood, daughter of Charles Wood, 1st Viscount Halifax. Meynell Ingram died in 1871 and Emily Charlotte built the church in his memory. She remained in occupation of the Hall until her death in 1904 when her nephew Fredreick George Lindley Wood (later Meynell) inherited the estate.

Hoar Cross Hall has thankfully managed to survive as an hotel and health spa and is a Grade II listed building.


Website by Kevin Gallagher