Menu Close

Author: admin

Borough of Burton upon Trent

Burton upon Trent Municipal Borough was formed in 1878 and was comprised of Burton, Burton Extra (Bond End), Horninglow, Stapenhill and Winshill though each retained…

Crested Ware

Much ‘crested ware’ hit the town, in varying degrees of quality, to celebrate the Town’s new status. For a while at least, almost every Burtonian…

Mayors 1878..1927

1878-79 W.H.Worthington In 1878, Burton was granted the status of County Borough and W.H.Worthington, one of the most prominent brewers in the town, was appointed…

Boys Grammar School

Burton Grammar School’s history can be traced back to Burton Abbey in 1520. In 1834, it moved into premises in Friar’s Walk which can still…

Girls High School

In this time of much educational change, in 1884, the boys from Allsopp’s Foundation Charity School were amalgamated into the new Bond Street Grammar School,…

Friars Walk

It is not certain when it first came into being but there was a ‘school house’ on the site of the Friars Walk school in…